Waste minimisation fund
We have an important role in managing waste, reducing the harm waste can cause, and encouraging communities and businesses to reduce their waste. Achieving waste minimisation through the reduction of waste and the reuse, recycling and recovery of waste and diverted material.
Why we've got a waste minimisation fund
We receive funds from the national waste levy - a levy imposed on all waste going to landfill, to minimise waste to landfill.
It's recognised that some of the best ideas and deliverers of waste minimisation initiatives are within our community.
Our Waste Management and Minimisation Plan supports a local contestable waste minimisation fund to support new initiatives.
Apply for funding for a new waste minimisation project
Funding is available for new projects that contribute to waste minimisation, avoid harm and improve resource efficiency.
Applications close 5pm Friday 24 November.
- The maximum funding that can be applied for is $10,000 (excl GST).
- You need to include budget information that outlines the total cost of your project and the specific items for this funding.
- If successful for funding, you will be required to sign a project agreement.
You will need to submit interim and final reports to be eligible for project funding
If you receive funding for your project, you must acknowledge Gisborne District Council's support in all your promotion of the project.
Glossary of terms
- means anything disposed of or discarded; and
- includes a type of waste that is defined by its composition or source, for example, organic waste, electronic waste, or construction and demolition waste; and
- to avoid doubt, includes any component or element of diverted material, if the component or element is disposed of or discarded.
- the reduction of waste; and
- the reuse, recycling, and recovery of waste and diverted material.
- anything that is no longer required for its original purpose and, but for commercial or other waste minimisation activities, would be disposed of or discarded.
- lessening waste generation, including by using products more efficiently or by redesigning products; and
- in relation to a product, lessening waste generation in relation to the product.
- the further use of waste or diverted material in its existing form for the original purpose of the materials or products that constitute the waste or diverted material, or for a similar purpose
- the reprocessing of waste or diverted material to produce new materials.
- means extraction of materials or energy from waste or diverted material for further use or processing; and
- includes making waste or diverted material into compost