Roading Makarori

Working on the road

Corridor Access Request

Show Sidebar

Working on the road

You require approval to carry out any work within a road reserve.  

Road reserve or 'road corridor' includes the road carriageway, footpath, berm and grassed area. 
It's the area from usually the front fence of a property boundary across the road to the opposite property front boundary.  

Council owns the road corridor - you need approval to carry out any work within road reserve.  Any work that involves digging the ground, such as:

  • a driveway - construction or reconstruction, installing culverts
  • drainage work - stormwater, wastewater or water pipes
  • services - gas, power, cables, trenches, cabinets, poles
  • planting a tree

For information about fences that bound private property and road reserve

Approval to dig in the road corridor - Corridor Access Request

First check the location of underground pipes and cables before you dig - see utility services page

How to submit a request

The preferred method is an online application, approval is quicker and there's no fee.

There are 2 websites you can use to submit your request. Register and follow the instructions on the site.



Or you can fill in the application 'Corridor Access Request'. You must provide a site plan showing the location and construction details. This method does take longer to process. 

Corridor Access Request (163kb)

The declaration on the form refers to requirements of the utilities code.  
Visit NZ Utilities Advisory Group website for the code

What happens to your application

Once you submit your application, allow 20 working days for processing. 

  • You cannot start the work until you have approval of your application.
  • Any obstructions to the work such as trees, stormwater drains or power poles, in liaison with the asset owners - are to be removed or relocated at the property owner's expense.

Install a cattle stop or swing gate on a public road 

Written permission is required to erect a swing gate or a cattle stop across any public road.

Fill in the application form and return it to us.
Application for cattle stop or gate across a road [PDF, 125 KB]

The policy includes cattle stops and financial responsibility.
Cattle Stop Policy [PDF, 1.9 MB] 

Last updated: