Rubbish and Recycling

Kerbside recycling collection

What goes in the recycling bin

Show Sidebar

Recycling collection

Recycling is free and the more you recycle that's less rubbish going to landfill.

To find out what day your kerbside recycling is collected

What goes in the recycling bin

Your recycling bin must be a council approved bin. If you don't have an approved bin, you can purchase one from us

All recyclables must be clean - wash, squash and sort your recycling. Flatten boxes, secure paper and cardboard together in a bag.

Pack it all in your bin. Collectors won't take anything left outside or under the bin.

Put heavy items on top so nothing can fly away.

Collectors will empty a maximum of 2 bins per property. If you have 2 bins, put all glass in one bin.

Guide to what's recyclable 

If a product is not recyclable, it'll be left in your bin, or your bin may not be emptied.

Plastics - bottles, containers, cleaning bottles. 
Make sure it has the symbols 1-7 only. 
No plastic bags, wrapping, polystyrene meat trays, packaging, bubble wrap, toys

Paper, cardboard, newspaper, flyers, magazines. 
No tetrapak cartons, takeaway cups

Glass bottles and jars.
No broken glass, light bulbs, mirror, cookware, pyrex, crockery 
Metal lids are accepted, but please separate from the jar.

Aluminium and tin cans, empty aerosols
No pots, pans, car parts, mixed media, clothing, shoes, textiles

No hazardous items like batteries, gas bottles, chemicals, ash or paint.
No clothing, shoes, textiles.

Here's a guide to recycling paper, cardboard, cans, plastics and glass [PDF, 4.9 MB] 

You can take extra glass and other recyclables to the drop-off centre at 75 Innes Street or to your rural transfer station.

If you move house, you should leave the recycling bin behind for the next occupiers.

Where to buy a bin 

You can put out 2 recycling bins per property.  Recycling bins are available from customer service or Waste Management NZ Ltd for $15 each. 

If you move to a rental property and there's no recycling bin, contact your landlord or agent.

If you've built a new house, you need to sign up for kerbside collection at customer service, then you'll get your stickers and recycling bin.

Look after your bin, try not to leave it out too long after it's been emptied.  If you lose your bin, you have to purchase another one.

Kerbside collectors will reject a bin if it's not a council approved bin. 

Recycling Items

Last updated: