Web Banner Waikanae

Land Information Memorandum (LIM)

Show Sidebar

Land Information Memorandum (LIM)

LIM (Land Information Memorandum) is a report prepared by Council which provides a summary of property information. 

How to apply for a LIM

Fill in the LIM application form.  You'll need to provide a current historical certificate of title (no older than 1 month) or pay the extra fee for us to obtain it. 

Pay the fee when you submit your application. 
If you pay by electronic transfer, our bank account is Westpac 03 0638 0502288 00.  Please include your surname and "LIM" in the reference fields.  

LIM application form [PDF, 160 KB]
This is a writable PDF. Save the form to your computer first before you fill it in and email it to us. 
You can email the form to us at LIMs@gdc.govt.nz, let us know the amount paid and how you've paid it.

How long will it take to process?

You can apply for either a 10 or 5 working day LIM.

Please note: 5 days LIMs are not currently available. We're converting all our property records including building files to digital. As the files are being scanned we don't readily have access to them. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Applications received after 9am -  the processing days are counted from the next working day.

Applications will not be processed between 24 December and 15 January.
Priority LIMs are not available between 14 December and 15 January each year. 

Why get a LIM

If you're considering buying a property, we recommend you obtain a LIM before purchase. 
A LIM is a comprehensive search of Council's clerical records only.  No site visit is made.
If you have any concerns about the property, we recommend you seek the advice of a qualified independent professional.

Costs and time frames


Residential or Rural 
(Site Caution, Land Overlay 2 or 3)
Rural (over 1 hectare)
Commercial or Industrial
working days
$269 with title provided
$289 without title
$405* with title provided
$425* without title
$329* deposit - with title provided
$349* deposit - without title
working days
$381 with title provided
$401 without title
$467* with title provided
$487* without title
$438* deposit - with title provided
$458* deposit - without title

* indicate these items are a minimum charge and may incur additional actual and reasonable costs.  
A copy of the current certificate of title must be provided with the application.  If a title is not attached, we charge $20 for each additional title.

Property categories

Forestry blocks and large LIM requests - at cost.
Commercial / Industrial - any commercial or industrial property
Rural - all rural properties over 1 hectare in land area
Residential - includes a property under 1 hectare, or within the urban boundaries that are not commercial or industrial.

If you are unsure of the category please contact us

Information provided in a LIM

This is a guide to the information supplied under Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.  A LIM provides some or all of the following items:

  • Valuation details - land, improvement and capital value.
  • Annual rates, includes outstanding balance and arrears if any.
  • Water meter information including current outstanding balance and arrears if any.
  • Planning zoning, land use, designations, natural and cultural heritage information.
  • Building, plumbing and drainage - a list of permits/consents issued
  • Resource consents (approved or declined) within the past 5 years, or earlier if appropriate.
  • Consents on adjoining properties are provided if council deems information is in the purchaser's greater interest.
  • Any known restrictions on the site which may restrict land use, future additions, subdivisions.

For a property near hills and streams or in rural areas:  

  • Water permits/consents and/or outstanding requisitions.
  • Earthworks and land disturbance requirements and existing consents.

Details of issued building and plumbing / drainage permits and consents; code of compliance certificate status; compliance schedule, if applicable; warrant of fitness, if applicable;

  • check of swimming pool register
  • council's underground services.

For a commercial property - details of dangerous goods, contaminated sites, liquor and health licences

Any natural hazards/special features, including:

  • erosion
  • avulsion [removal of land by water action]
  • falling debris
  • subsidence
  • slippage
  • alluvium [the deposition of silt from flooding]
  • inundation [flooding]
  • Risk of amplification of ground shaking and susceptibility to soil liquefaction during an earthquake (from the available IGNS earthquake hazard mapping)

Any history of flooding, noxious plants and other information that may affect the property.

The back of the application form provides a more in depth description of items.

What happens if there's no building permit for work done on the property?

  • We cannot retrospectively issue a building consent for work that has already been completed. We may only issue a Certificate of Acceptance. See building forms
  • The owner becomes liable for any un-permitted work.  Talk to your solicitor.

Exceptions include: 

Housing Corporation and Department of Maori Affairs houses built prior to 1991 - both organisations were not required to apply for a building consent.

Cook County Council records pre 1948 were destroyed in a fire.

Last updated: